There are several options when it comes to pergola covers or patio covers. Learn a little more about canvas canopies, corrugated plastic, shingles, and SkyPoly multiwall polycarbonate and which one is right for you.
A pergola is an interesting architectural element that adds character to your patio or deck. It not only acts as a visual focal point of your yard, but also provides an outdoor living space where you can entertain and relax with friends and family. However, a pergola doesn’t protect you from the sun or the rain unless you cover it up.
Traditionally, canvas is used in tent material since it offers ample shade and repels water once treated with a waterproofing agent. Therefore, canvas is an option for protecting your pergola or patio against sunlight and rain and can be installed without a professional.
- Wide range of colors available
- Forms pockets of water during a heavy downpour
- Subject to wear and tear over time
- Not waterproof unless treated
Corrugated plastic panels can be installed to cover your pergola or patio to block sunlight and rain. Some types of these panels boast a special coating that helps prevent damage from UV rays.
- Self-installation possible
- Relatively inexpensive
- Variety of colors
- Non-thermally efficient
- Will yellow and crack over time
- Not leakproof
Shingles are an option for a waterproof pergola cover or patio cover but block natural light. The most common types of shingles are asphalt, tile, and metal.
- Insulation can be added to help reduce the heat
- Variety of options and colors
- Can be relatively expensive
- Blocks natural light
- Usually requires professional installation
Multiwall Polycarbonate Systems
Our product, SkyPoly, is an architectural grade, multiwall polycarbonate. It is a waterproof pergola cover that allows natural light through while blocking 100% of UV rays which lowers temperatures underneath. With multiwall pergola covers, you can relax in your outdoor living space whether it’s raining or the sun is shining brightly. Get yourself a SkyPoly waterproof pergola cover and take your patio time from fair weather to all weather.
- Impact and hail resistant
- 3 light transmission choices block 100% of UV rays which reduces temps underneath
- 10-year warranty against yellowing and cracking
- More expensive than corrugated plastic or canvas
- DIY friendly but professional installation recommended
- Guests may never leave due to awesome outdoor living space